What is important in golf? Most players immediately think of the mechanics of a golf swing, mental preparation, scoring low or going for scratch. All of these points are very important, but is that really what is important in golf…..to you?
Golf is bigger than a game. It offers the opportunity to for players to enhance their lives in many ways. But, it is important to note that golf offers something different for everyone. For me, golf offers many ways to be grateful; so today I thought I would share some of those. I am grateful because:
- I have golfed with an astronaut – Colonel Robert Springer. He explained what it was like to be in a space shuttle – that was way cool;
- I have golfed with a 73 year-old guy who schooled me on the importance of the short game (cost me three drinks for the lesson);
- I have learned to control my emotions while working through adversity;
- I have learned to be a gentlemen;
- I have learned to be gracious whether I win or lose;
- I am inspired every time I play in the morning when the sun peeks over the trees;
- I have watched, then celebrated with others after they shot a hole-in-one; especially my mother;
- I converse daily with like-minded golfers friends around the world through blogging and social media;
- I continue to meet so many fantastic people on the golf course that I cannot count them all; and
- Mostly, I share my most favorite game with the people I treasure the most!
I could go on and on, but I think you get the point that golf provides some many opportunities to be grateful. I have played golf for most of my life, but it has only been the past five years that I really understand how it has helped shape the person I am today. Some may think that I am crazy for letting a game become so important to my life – they may have a valid point. I would counter to say that golf really is more than a game because it continues to teach me how to set goals, face adversity, support others, cherish friendships and share joyful experiences everyday!
What are you grateful for?
I am a grateful golfer! See you on the links!