I am on the fence on whether to change my golf grips or not. My current set are CBWs that came with my Mizuno MP20s and I love them. I still feel comfortable holding my current grips, but there is a bit of wear on a couple of them and only changing two does not seem like the way to go. I am still mulling, but it will take me a bit of time to make a final decision.
- To fit their grips to their particular hand size
- To achieve the desired feel for their playing preference and climate conditions
- To simply replace their favorite grips that have become worn
- To upgrade to a more premium and longer lasting grip
How does someone determine if their grips need changing? Lampkin gives suggestions on what are some of the tell-tale signs of ware? These signs are:
- Smooth, hard surfaces
- Shiny patches
- Wear spots, especially where the thumbs make contact
- Faded or bare spots on grips that have been painted or have logos
- Insufficient tack
Right now I only have a few wear spots, but everything else is great. I usually change my grips yearly, but I am not so sure. I have the grips I need if I do decide to change, so there is no real hurry. If you have never change your grips before, here is a short ‘how to’ from Lampkin:
Do you change your golf grips often? If so, do you do it yourself?
I am a grateful golfer! See you on the links!