Picking the Masters Champion is a very difficult task. The field is at the 2016 Masters is world-class and the smallest since 2002. With just 89 players, the top ranked players seem to have a lock on winning the ‘green jacket’. However, given the dramatic finish at the Shell Houston Open last week, it is very difficult to discount more than half the field!
Understanding the plethora of variables used by odds makers, it is quite difficult for many armchair golfers to really have a handle on who might play well and who won’t. However, if you want to try your hand at selecting the champion, drop me a line via this website or other social media and I will add you to our lists. Click here.
Here are some things to consider when picking the Masters Champions that will narrow your field of choice.They are not the end-all to beat-all, but they are things I consider when I made my choice for Masters Champion.
- Who is hot right now.
- Who is playing consistently since the beginning of the season.
- Who has the length off the tee.
- Who has a good track record at the Masters.
- Who has played in pressure situations before.
- My gut feel.
- Who wins the Par 3 Tournament.
These and other aspects of the Masters should be considered when picking The Masters Champion. I do not recommend or support the opinions those mentioned below, but, I would be remiss to neglect the “experts” pick:
- JEFF BABINEAU: Bubba Watson
- JIM MCCABE: Rory McIlroy
- ADAM SCHUPAK: Bubba Watson
- ALEX MICELI: Bubba Watson
- BRENTLEY ROMINE: Rory McIlroy
- KEVIN CASEY: Dustin Johnson
- ALLEN ETZLER: Rickie Fowler
From ESPN – Brooks Koepka. I recommend you read their article, their analysis was very interesting.
From Golf Channel: Geoff Shackelford: Jason Day
- Kyle Porter: Phil Mickelson
- Robby Kalland: Louis Oosthuizen
- Chip Patterson: Adam Scott
- Adam Silverstein: Rory McIlroy
Well, I think you get my point. The bottom line is that no one really agrees on the favorite. There are 7 different names on the lists and except for maybe Brooks Koepka, none of the names are a surprise. What is a surprise is the absence of last year’s champion Jordan Spieth from all the lists.
So for most of us amateur pundits, it comes down to gut-feel. After looking at all the data, my pick for the 2016 Masters Champion is Bubba Watson!
As I mentioned earlier, if you want to try your hand at selecting the champion, drop me a line via this website or other social media and I will add you to our lists. Click here.
I am a grateful golfer! See you on the links!